Monday 14 May 2012

"Love Actually" 2003 UK, by Richard Curtis


"Love Actually" is a romantic comedy film that contains 8 relationship stories. The stories are interconnected by the relationships between each of the characters. The film set in the glorious season of Christmas in London. Story begun from several weeks prior to Christmas leading up to New Year. The film generalises British lifestyle in modern society. At the same time, it presents us with the sentimental value of 'love' that exists in different forms of relationship.

British comedy always has the sense of provocativeness and honesty, that's what I found. I personally feel that Richard Curtis, the writer and director of the film, really brings out the well polished jokes to the foreground in this film with full use of smart transition from scene to scene. I love all of the key characters' performances. But if I really have to name that would be of 2 actresses' in particular, Emma Thompson and Laura Linney. The performances are rather suttle, but express great depth of the characters' emotions. Great choices of music! I ended up buying the CD afterwards. I think by having different stories with various types of character that we, as audience, would be able to identify ourselves with is another selling point. Over all I found I am more interested in the story, not so much in the production aspect of the film. But really if it is a comedy film and the laugh is there, it's already half of the film.


No comments:

Post a Comment