Saturday 26 May 2012

"The Insider" 1999 USA, by Michael Mann


"The Insider" is a biographical drama thriller based on the life of Jeffrey Wigand, a Former Vice President of Development and Research at Brown & Williamson tobacco company. The story presents the struggles of Lowell Bergman, a "60 minutes" producer, and Wigand's to expose the secret of the Big Tobacco. The film discuss the power of politic, in both tobacco and media industries, to control the secret information of the Big Tobacco about nicotine addiction which in the end was revealed through the process of legal investigation.

This Michael Mann's film has really appealed to me not because of the fact that the story was about a "60 minutes" producer trying to expose some secret, but I was attracted to the film at first because of the actors, Al Pacino and Russell Crowe. They are my idols. I love the "tone" of the film, the way the director chose to tell it. I personally don't find it as a thriller, or I don't think there's enough of thriller element to it. I watched the film several times and tried to decide whose performance, between Al Pacino and Russell Crowe, was the winner. I don't think there is one. They both are amazing, just different. I love the complexity that Al Pacino built into his performance and the way Russell Crowe wearing the character's mindset, in particular. I also really like the ending, when Bergman decided to quit his job. I think the film successfully did what it mean to do to the audience. It made a profound impact on me, personally. I think it is a great film and very insightful. 



No comments:

Post a Comment