Monday 21 May 2012

"The Golden Compass" 2007 UK, by Chris Weitz


"The Golden Compass" is a visually stunning fantasy-adventure film by Chris Weitz. The screenplay is based on a book named "North Lights" 1995 UK, by Philip Pullman, USA publication called "The Golden Compass". The story set in a parallel universe, the world where each human has a coexisting spirit in the form of animal called "demon". It is the journey of the lead character Lyra Belacqua, played by Dakota Blue Richards, searching for her missing friend who was kidnapped from Jordan College to be used in a scientific experiment. The film presents a power struggle of authority and challenges in speaking of truth in a politically constrained society.

What a beautiful film! I love the production design and the art-direction as much as the computer graphic generation and animation components of the film. I also admire Chris Weitz's distinctive direction on the performance of each character. The complexity of the character Mrs Coulter, played by Nicole Kidman, was very well presented. I personally enjoyed the story and its development. It is a little rush though. I definitely am a fantasy fan. And this film has good and interesting conventions for me to follow and work my way through the story. The adventure and the conflicts within the story work well and captured me all the way through the film. I enjoyed the film and I think it really is one of the good ones.




No comments:

Post a Comment